I have been trying to go back and read some of the comments that I missed while I was on vacation. One thing that struck me was the hatred some espoused for Sarah Palin. I was literally reading it and saying to myself, “What the hell is this all about?” I understand she is a conservative. But it seems that the left has really strong hate for this woman. And I simply cannot figure out why. I mean, I have read all the same stuff. I have followed politics quite closely since well before she even entered politics. And I simply cannot figure out why the left hates her so much. She isn’t like Pelosi, who makes statements and pushes partisanship so blatantly and who is so far in left field that a ball that rolls to her has already long left the park. So I can’t figure it out. So I am going to talk a bit about Sarah, and maybe some of you on the left can help me understand your hatred for a woman who seems normal to me.
Don’t get me wrong, I don’t question your right to dislike the woman. I wouldn’t expect you to conform to my ideals any more than you can expect me to give up my hatred for Nancy Pelosi. I just don’t understand the dislike for Palin. I know that whatever political shirt color you choose to wear has an influence. Republicans don’t like Democrats and vice versa. But the unadulterated hate for Palin seems to go beyond that. It goes at least as far as the hatred for Pelosi, and from what I can see, goes much further. I understand not liking the other shirt color, but why does this reach another level for a woman that really doesn’t seem to me to have accomplished nearly enough for the left to despise her.
Her history in politics prior to being selected to be the VP candidate for McCain (from Wiki): Palin was a member of the Wasilla, Alaska (population almost 10k, about the size of my hometown when I left), city council from 1992 to 1996 and the city’s mayor from 1996 to 2002. After an unsuccessful campaign for Lieutenant Governor of Alaska in 2002, she chaired the Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commissionfrom 2003 until her resignation in 2004. She was elected Governor of Alaska in November 2006. Palin is the first female governor of Alaska and the youngest person elected governor of that state. On July 3, 2009, Palin announced that she will not be a candidate for reelection in 2010 and that she would resign the Office of Governor effective July 26, 2009.
Let’s look at her “platform”:
She hails from the “pro-life”, anti-abortion, whatever you want to call it camp. Big deal. Half of America hails from that camp it should be noted. So what makes her different? Because she believes that abstinence should be taught in high schools? Asked about her thoughts on Roe V. Wade she replied “I think it should be a states’ issue not a federal government-mandated, mandating yes or no on such an important issue. I’m, in that sense, a federalist, where I believe that states should have more say in the laws of their lands and individual areas. Now, foundationally, it’s no secret that I’m pro-life that I believe in a culture of life is very important for this country. Personally that’s what I would like to see further embraced by America.” That doesn’t seem so much more radical than any other Christian stance I have heard. As a christian she dislikes abortion and would like to see it eliminated, but wants to see the states have the power to make the law on this issue. So what is to hate there? Or is it that people just love the idea of a christian who espouses abstinence had a teenage daughter who made the mistake of getting pregnant?
She doesn’t favor gun control, but does favor (and signed a bill saying so) education for young people who are going to carry or use guns. Doesn’t seem that radical to me, even when compared to many other pro-gun groups out there. Heck, even I am more radical than she is when I state people should be able to have any weapon they like and be punished only when they use it illegally. Her quote on this issue: “I am a lifetime member of the NRA, I support our Constitutional right to bear arms and am a proponent of gun safety programs for Alaska’s youth.”
She hasn’t worked to ban books, despite what the left claims about her. The most that has been leveled at her is that she asked the question of a librarian how she would react to some books being banned. A claim from a librarian who she was obviously at odds with. But she never named a single book to be considered for banning, or removed a single book, or even asked for one to be removed. The list of books she wanted banned that circulated on the internet included Harry Potter, which hadn’t even been written when she was accused of trying to ban it. So the book banning thing was a completely made up lie meant to damage her reputation.
She is against national health care (joining 52% of Americans currently according to Rasmussen). She has stated that doctors should run health care, not bureaucracies. She has argued for ensuring that regulations in place do not reduce the competition that would drive the costs of health care down. She has espoused personal responsibility for one’s own health and fitness.
She is against cap and trade. She made that clear with her op ed piece last week which correctly pointed out that the costs of cap and trade for Americans will be too steep. She didn’t claim to be an expert, just offered her opinion, which brought out the attack dogs who tried to tear her opinion apart as if doing so proves cap and trade to be right. She supported creationism being discussed in schools, which is not some radical statement. She did not, again despite claims from the left, attempt to force creationism to be taught in the public schools in Alaska. She does support the idea of intelligent design being added to the curriculum, but also 100% supports that evolution should also be taught.
She is for making the path to citizenship easier for potential immigrants but against amnesty for those who came here illegally, breaking our laws to do so. She never supported Pat Buchanan for President, despite claims to the contrary.
She isn’t dumb. The left has done their level best to paint her that way. I have heard a thousand times that Palin thinks there are 57 states! People don’t even seem to realize that it was Obama who made that mistaken comment, which I certainly don’t hold against him. A mix-up and nothing more. The whole “she didn’t know that Africa was a continent” thing was proven to be a hoax and even trashy MSNBC was forced to do a retraction on that story.
She was a whistle-blower on corruption with the Alaska government, and sought to eliminate ethics breaches in government. She campaigned on having a clean government and by all accounts (other than the lies that the left is spreading around) did so. The biggest claim that I have heard thus far is that she is a liar. Ray yesterday posted the Andrew Sullivan piece on her “12 biggest lies”. So I did a little research of my own, without the bias… Here is how I see those things:
-She has lied about the Bridge To Nowhere. She ran for office favoring it, wore a sweatshirt defending it, and only gave it up when the federal congress, Senator McCain in particular, went ballistic. She kept the money anyway and favors funding Don Young’s Way, at twice the cost of the original bridge. OK, start here… In an era of 9000+ earmarks being attached to an “emergency spending bill”, liberals hate her because she supported a bridge, dropped support when costs became difficult to nail down, and still supports a different bridge. This is really grasping at straws for a reason to hate her.
– She has lied about her firing of the town librarian and police chief of Wasilla, Alaska. She claimed, when called at home, that she planned to meet with them the next day and that they had thus far not actually been fired. The “evidence” to disprove this is that the police chief had a letter stating that she intends to fire him. Not that he is fired yet, but that she intends to fire him. Sounds like she was telling the truth to me. And for the record she revoked the firing of the librarian a couple of days later when people of the town expressed unhappiness with the decision.
– She has lied about pressure on Alaska’s public safety commissioner to fire her ex-brother-in-law. The State Personnel Board (SPB) reviewed the matter at Palin’s request. On September 15, the Anchorage law firm of Clapp, Peterson, Van Flein, Tiemessen & Thorsness filed arguments of “no probable cause” with the SPB on behalf of Palin. The SPB hired independent counsel Timothy Petumenos as an investigator. On October 24, Palin gave three hours of depositions with the Board in St. Louis, Missouri. On November 3, Petumenos found that there was no probable cause to believe Palin or any other state official had violated state ethical standards. So I guess she didn’t lie. But don’t let facts like these get in the way of hatred for her.
– She has lied about her previous statements on climate change. Alrighty then, the claim is that she lied when she said “I think you are a cynic because show me where I have ever said that there’s absolute proof that nothing that man has ever conducted or engaged in has had any affect, or no affect, on climate change.” and the proof was that she was quoted saying “I’m not a doom and gloom environmentalist like Al Gore blaming the changes in our climate on human activity.” I don’t see the lie here. The 2nd statement does not show her lying in the first. Saying that she is not doom and gloom like Gore is not the same as saying man has nothing to do with anything.
– She has lied about Alaska’s contribution to America’s oil and gas production. She said in a speech that Alaska contributes 20% of the oil and gas America contributes. Alaska contributed 18% at one point. So her “lie” was that she rounded up and didn’t have the most recent figures. Again… really stretching here.
– She has lied about when she asked her daughters for their permission for her to run for vice-president. Again we are stretching here. She said she asked her daughters for a vote on whether she should take it. Her husband remembers it differently. My wife remembers the conversations and timelines differently on nearly everything we talk about more than a month ago. So now we are counting this as a massive lie?
– She has lied about the actual progress in constructing a natural gas pipeline from Alaska. According to Ray’s source she stated in the convention speech that “And when that deal was struck, we began a nearly $40 billion natural gas pipeline to help lead America to energy independence,” and in a subsequent press conference “that the state had finally obtained a commitment to build the pipeline.” I don’t see anything in her two speeches that say anything more than this and the proof that she lied is that the pipeline only exists thus far on paper? She didn’t claim otherwise. After talking with some state officials later she said in a speech, “We’re not turning dirt yet.” on that project. Again, this seems to be really stretching for a reason to call her a liar.
– She has lied about Obama’s position on habeas corpus. “In her convention speech she said, “Al Qeada terrorists still plot to inflict catastrophic harm on America, and [Obama is] worried that someone won’t read them their rights.” when in actuality he was not, but was instead worried about whether they had the right to challenge their being held in a court of law. With all the lies told by all 4 candidates about opponents positions, this is the best they could come up with? And this is a reason to hate her so much?
– She has lied about her alleged tolerance of homosexuality. When asked whether she thinks homosexuality is genetic or learned she replied, “Oh, I don’t — I don’t know, but I’m not one to judge and, you know, I’m from a family and from a community with many, many members of many diverse backgrounds and I’m not going to judge someone on whether they believe that homosexuality is a choice or genetic. I’m not going to judge them.” The “proof” offered that this was a lie is that the church she attended for 6 years sponsored a conference to turn gay people straight using religion. If only liberals applied these same harsh standards to a person who goes to a church for 20 years with a pastor who screams “God Damn America”.
– She has lied about the use or non-use of a TelePrompter at the St Paul convention. She claimed that the teleprompter broke at one point and she just “winged it”. One McCain/Palin spokesperson said this was a lie and another said this was true. Doesn’t seem to be any proof of a lie here, just conflicting versions from two different people.
– She has lied about her alleged pay-cut as mayor of Wasilla. She said, “As mayor I took a voluntary pay cut, which didn’t thrill my husband; and then as governor I cut the personal chef position from the budget, and that didn’t thrill my hungry kids.” The offered “proof” that she lied is “As a Council member she voted against hiking the mayor’s salary from $64,000 to $68,000, but it passed anyway. When she came in as mayor, she passed the ordinance which brought her salary down to $61,200. But that may not actually have taken effect, and Council-mandated raises brought her actual salary up to $68,000.” OK, are liberals really this petty? She voted against a pay raise. When she got into office she DID lower her salary to $61.2k, and then the council (not her) mandated raises that put her back to $68k.
– She has lied about what Alaska’s state scientists concluded about the health of the polar bear population in Alaska. Clicking the link offered here took me back to the pay raise thing again, so I can’t dispute this “lie” as I don’t know what they are talking about.
So these are the 12 “lies” that Sarah Palin is responsible for that liberals hate her so much for. Suppose for a minute that these 12 things were all really lies. There are more lies than this told at every lunch table where a member of Congress sits down to eat. In a world where we are all well aware that politicians are the most dishonest group of people on the planet, I find it fascinating that these stupid subjects and the claims that they are the horrendous lies of Sarah Palin are the reason for the hatred liberals have for her.
It seems to me that Sarah Palin has been fairly honest and ethical during her time as the Governor of Alaska. She owned up to things she was corrected on. And take every lie that she has ever told and they don’t come close to Obama claiming during the campaign that 95% of Americans won’t see a dime of increase in their taxes.
As of tonight there have been 20 ethics violation suits filed against her. 25% of those were filed by a single person who obviously has nothing better to do. She has been exonerated in every one of these that has come to conclusion. It seems to me that these claims are nothing more than members of the left filing as much as possible and hoping to find one that sticks somehow. They have to get some real dirt on Palin before she turns too many people away from the dark side.
Sarah Palin seems to me to be a good person. She is not a member of the boys club in DC. She relates to people from the middle class, which is something that no other candidate in the races remotely does. She is an everyday person, believes in her faith, and pays her taxes (which is more than we can say for half of Obama’s appointments).
So why does the left hate her so much?
My only guess is that she scares the ever-lovin shit out of the left. She relates to people, she is well spoken, attractive, and ethical. I can’t find any other explanation than this. And they should be scared of her. She is a regular person with the possibility of breaking into the good ol boys club. The last thing that the left wants is a middle class woman standing up there and making sense. It would ruin their claim that the GOP is nothing but old rich white men.
I don’t think she is ready to be President. She certainly wasn’t any less ready to be Vice President than the joke that we ended up with. She hasn’t made statements nearly as offensive as good old Joe does on a regular basis.
So what gives? Why so much hate for Palin? She doesn’t seem nearly as smarmy as 99% of today’s politicians. And putting her “lies” up against a list of things Obama has said would make her seem like a saint. I just don’t understand why you hate her so much, unless it is just as I stated above…. fear.