I saw the other day that some of the SUFA regulars wanted to comment on the Anthony Weiner situation. Someone asked me for my thoughts. So I will offer them in this article, but I imagine that the title above already clues you in to what my position is on what Weiner is guilty of and what I think should be done about it. I will come right out and say that I absolutely believe that Anthony Weiner should be removed from office immediately. That shouldn’t come as a surprise to anyone. I am sure at least two of our resident antagonists will claim I only feel that way because he is a Democrat. So you two can shut your pie holes up front on that aspect. I feel that way because he is a dirtbag…
I fully admit that I despise Anthony Weiner. He is the epitome of the modern day politician. He is arrogant and smug. He is a consistent liar and twister of the truth on nearly every issue. He treats others with disrespect and demeans those who challenge him as though they don’t have the right. I won’t soon forget his treatment of Megan Kelly on more than one occasion as he arrogantly ignores the questions and speaks as though he is doing you a favor by spouting his bullshit. Here is one of the more memorable exchanges with Weiner:
Just do a quick google search for videos of Anthony Weiner and you will find a plethora of instances where he treats those who challenge him on the issues in this way. And it doesn’t stop at news personalities on Fox News. When challenged on the issue of this picture that he way lying about sending, there was this reaction:
So, in my personal opinion, Anthony Weiner is a class A dickhead. He is not a good person. He is not an acceptable person to occupy a position in the United States House of Representatives. He is an asshole. And I will laugh for hours at this little prick getting what is coming to him. Karma is a bitch Tony.
What I am most surprised by is the consistent excuses made for jerks like Weiner. I watched here at SUFA as the position was presented that this is something in his personal life and has no bearing on his ability to be a member of Congress.
Well I say, bull-dookey. He stood in front of America and lied his ass off for a week and a half. He demeaned anyone who pressed for answers. He showed poor judgement. He showed a complete lack of character. He showed that he has no respect for his marriage or the people he serves in New York. He showed that he is everything we DON’T want someone to be when we say that he “represents us.”
And he isn’t alone. On the whole, members of Congress have shown themselves to be morally inferior to the vast majority of Americans over the last couple years. Since its creation in 2008, the independent Congressional Ethics watchdog group has doubled the number of investigations opened each year. And we can all sit back and point to dozens of additional instances that were not even touched by Congressional Ethics groups.
Politicians, as Weiner has done, refuse to relinquish their vaunted position over something as minor as being unethical. A few of the outrageous examples of politicians who are dirty, yet remain in the spotlight:
- Charles Rangle – 13 offenses and an official admonition from the Congressional Ethics Committee. Not only does he not step down, he wins reelection.
- Maxine Waters – Helps family members gain profit through organizations that she has political ties to and is then found to have ensured that her husbands bank received federal bailout money, even though it didn’t qualify. Consistently rated as one of the most crooked members of Congress. Refuses to step down and claims that the Ethics Committee is after her because she is black. Reelected.
- Nancy Pelosi – Helps force health care down our throats while her district receives a high percentage of the waivers so that they don’t have to be affected by it. Simply claims everyone is lying or wrong (through her press secretary of course). We could do a whole article just on her unethical and anti-American ways. Relected over and over and selected by her peers as Minority Leader (which makes sense, she is perhaps the most unethical so she should be the leader of a group of unethical people).
- Newt Gingrich – Has an affair during his marriage, and faces a list of nearly 80 ethics violations lodged by Democrats when he was speaker of the House of Representatives, and several years later becomes one of the front-runners for President in the party that claims to believe in “family values”.
- Chris Dodd – As chairman of the Senate Banking Committee Dodd proposed a program in June 2008 that would assist troubled sub-prime mortgage lenders such as Countrywide Financial in the wake housing bubble’s collapse. Later revealed that in 2003 Dodd had refinanced the mortgages on his homes in Washington, D.C. and Connecticut through Countrywide Financial. Retired from Congress (with full benefits for life) and is now a top lobbyist.
- The Clintons – The Whitewater scandal, Weinergate episode 1, the travel office scandal. Their list is extensive. One was elected President after the non-sex scandals were public knowledge. The other went on to run for President and become Secretary of State.
- Tom Delay – Multiple scandals over many years in Congress and he continued to be reelected time and again. He was eventually given little chance to do anything but resign. He only left office because he was indicted on federal money laundering charges which he was later convicted on and sentenced to 3 years in prison.
- John Ensign – Yet another member of the party of family values who placed a higher value in getting into the pants of a staffer for his office. He had an affair and remained in office for another two years, finally resigning when investigations of ethics violations for his actions after the affair threatened to become a public affair.
- William J Jefferson – A FBI raid on his home found $90,000 stashed in his freezer. There were tapes of him being bribed. He was reelected anyway in 2006. He served the full term and lost reelection in 2008 and was shortly thereafter convicted of 11 counts of bribery and sentenced to 11 years in prison.
- Barney Frank – Where to start…. Besides doing all the Fannie/Freddie nonsense while sleeping with an executive from there, we have a former lover of Frank’s convicted of running a gay prostitution ring out of the apartment he shared with Franks. Of course Barney claims it was done without his knowledge. What was done with his knowledge was using his office powers to eliminate 33 traffic tickets for that same former partner. After playing a key role in the housing crash by forcing regulation to lend to those who can’t afford it, he was caught attempting to do the same thing shortly after for condos, which he would benefit from. Reelected again and again despite all these things and still screwing America today as a member of Congress.
- Jesse Helms – His campaign was found guilty of “voter caging” when 125,000 postcards were sent to mainly black neighborhoods and the results used to challenge their residency and therefore their right to vote. Reelected anyway and his racist behind served in Congress until they carried his corpse out from a vote (it’s a joke, relax).
- George W. Bush – Don’t even get me started. I would like to make it possible for you to finish reading this article sometime today.
- Barack Obama – As much a liar in office as I have seen in my lifetime. Between the ACORN madness, the ordering of the Justice Department to drop some suits and pursue others disgracefully, his ties to radical far left extremists and racists, he creeps up towards reelection anyway.
I am sure that there are plenty that I am missing. But just look at that extensive list. And keep in mind I didn’t even include the scandals involving Mark Souders, Mark Foley, Larry Craig, or Chris Lee because they all resigned following their scandals so they didn’t get to stay in the spotlight. These are just some of the major names and these are just the more recent ones! Scandals involving politicians and government officials are in the hundreds every year. We just dealt with major national politicians in this article. We didn’t even touch non-Congress folks like DC Mayor Marion “Bitch Set Me Up” Barry, who was caught on film smoking crack with a prostitute, resigned in shame and came back a few years later to be reelected as Mayor! Or the Secretary of the Treasury who evaded paying his taxes!!!!
I guess the point I am trying to get at is that it floors me that someone as intelligent as as some of the readers here at SUFA are would see what Weiner did and say, “no he shouldn’t resign.” All I can think to myself is…
What the Hell is Wrong with America These Days??????
Every one of those names above committed illegal or immoral acts while serving as one of the 535 chosen members of our elected representation. And every one of them not only didn’t resign, but were actually RE-ELECTED by voters. How is that even possible? How have we gotten to the point where our elected officials commit crimes and cheat the system and there are those of you willing to give them a pass? I applaud Charlie for stating the other day that he liked Weiner but now says screw him. That is what should happen to every one of these people.
Has America fallen so far away from having a moral and ethical foundation that we are willing to accept that the 535 people that we have elected to be our representatives in government are perhaps the LEAST moral and ethical people in the entire country? It would appear that the answer is a resounding “YES”.
Everyone acknowledges that Washington DC is perhaps the most crooked place in America (in a fierce battle with Chicago for the title). Everyone will tell you that politicians are the lowest form of human being on the planet. Everyone lives in the status of immediately knowing that they cannot trust anything a member of Congress allows to pass through their lips. It results in Congress having an approval rating that is half of what the approval rating was for George W. Bush!!!!!! Yet the reelection percentages for incumbents in Congress is consistently north of 90%.
Enough. Enough. ENOUGH!
I know I have written on this subject before. I know that I have made these statements before. But at what point will this begin to sink in for all of those who still don’t get it? It is time that we took a stand.
I get it. If you are a Democrat, you are not willing to put up with the other side that embraces tax cuts for all, rambles on about taking away the choice of an abortion, or loves to spend money starting wars with whomever they can.
If you are a Republican, you are not willing to put up with the other side that embraces tax increases on the wealthy, grows government at a faster rate, and loves redistributing other people’s money.
But shouldn’t we be able to agree that, at a minimum, whomever we put into office act within ethical and moral boundaries? This isn’t about left versus right, conservative versus liberal, red-shirted thief versus blue-shirted thief. This is about holding our elected officials to at least some sort of minimal standards. Can’t we agree at least on the fact that liars shouldn’t be in Congress. Can’t we agree at least on the fact that cheaters shouldn’t be in Congress? Can’t we at least agree on the fact that criminals should not be in Congress?
Or is the problem that Congress really is an accurate representation of the average American citizen? Have my core principles of hard work, honesty, integrity, and service to my fellow man become such a minority stance that I don’t deserve to be represented in Congress?
Because that is where we are. The inmates in America’s prisons are heavily represented in Congress. But at this point, those who try to do the right things, who conduct ourselves with honor and integrity, are truly now in a position of “taxation without representation.”
Someone find me a ship with some damn tea on it. I have some work to do.