My proposal is that we periodically pick a topic, research it, and come to some agreeable conclusions as to how to solve the problem. Once we have an agreed upon approach with supporting documentation, then we each make a proposal to our local newspapers in hopes of generating some useful discussion and at the very minimum educate some people along the way. This will require that we monitor and participate in the discussion on the local papers blogs site. I have done this is the past. I typically follow the same rules we do here, no flaming the opponent and respond with facts and ask that they do likewise. After a few rounds of this even the diehards give up and respond in a genial fashion.
My basic philosophy is that the federal government has grown much too large and has taken on tasks far beyond those defined by the Constitution. It also collects way too much of our money and spends even more. Some fundamental changes need to occur.
Some of the topics that I would like to see us address are:
1) Immigration, we started this several months ago
2) Repeal of the 16th amendment (income tax)
3) Repeal of the 17th amendment (direct election of senators)
4) Auditing of the Fed and possibly deauthorizing it. Congress need to control the printing press
5) No wars w/o a formal declaration, reestablish Congress’ war making authority
6) A viable energy policy with the goal of a 90%-100% reduction in the DOE
7) Elimination of the D of Ed
8) All bills to clearly state the Constitutional that grants Congress the authority to pass the bill
9) Eliminate the debt ceiling and force Congress to pass individual bond authorizations for specific projects
10) Remove from the EPA any and all authority to regulate green house gases. Any such regulation will come directly from Congress
11) Revise the tax code, more specifically move to a flat tax or national sales tax that eliminates the income tax and eventually the IRS.
12) All regulations generated by the executive departments must be reviewed and approved by Congress
13) Repeal ObamaCare
14) Stop overtaxing at the federal level to rebate the money to states and local governments.
Please chime in and add your own.