For a little change of pace I thought it would be interesting if we thought about how we at SUFA would conclude an Article V Convention. To do so, we actually have to have one and debate the issues presented. Let me start by setting our Convention Rules. First and foremost, the Convention will be limited to Five suggested changes from each attendee and an overall Five agreed upon changes that would become new Amendments to the Constitution. The new Amendments can change any part of the original Constitution and/or change any current Amendments.
Each attendee can suggest up to five Amendments, with a brief explanation of why these changes would be good. When a suggestion is repeated by more than one attendee, that suggestion will be placed in the final pool for vote. Once a final pool of suggestions are determined, a vote will take place. Only FIVE suggestions can become Amendments, so attendee’s will rank them in order of importance. Ties will be further debated until a final total of NO more than five is attained. Less than five is acceptable. None is acceptable. So put your thinking caps on and let’s begin the First SUFA Article V Convention.
I’ll start this show with my initial five suggested changes and put them forth for debate:
- Federal taxes will be set at 10% for all citizens. All other taxes and tax laws are repealed.
- All Federal Agencies and regulations that are NOT specifically authorized by the enumerated powers written within Article One are abolished.
- Term limits are established as follows, elected members of both chambers are limited to two terms. There will no longer be lifetime benefits for members.
- Amendment XVII is repealed. Article I, Section 3 is in effect
- Federal spending will not exceed tax receipts from the previous year, debt is illegal except in times of declared war,
There are my initial suggestions. I as well as anyone, can change any of their initial suggestions at anytime. Let’s have some fun folks. Let me also remind folks, if it were up to me, the Federal government would be much, much different and this would not be needed. For this exercise, I’m playing with what we have currently. Have fun and good luck!